Romeo, save me, I've been feelin so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think...
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring
And said
Marry me, Juliet, you'll never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
I talked to your dad go pick out a white dress
It's a love story, baby just say yes.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Granite Classical Tutorials is doing Romeo and Juliet as its school play. Guess what role I am taking on?
Juliet Capulet.
It's a long story. But I got time.
Tuesday the 7th of December, around midnight, I discovered the juicy news that Granite was going to be putting on The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. I was immediately filled with excitement, and already started reading the script.
The next weekend was full of rehearsing. We had received monologues and cuttings that we were to practice and then preform in auditions, which were taking place on December the 15th. Being me, I was sure to memorize every monologue and cutting with any characters that I was auditioning for. On Tuesday, all I did was compile my timeline and memorize everything I could cram into my mind. By the time the next Wednesday rolled around, I was psyched and ready to roll.
But things weren't as simple as all that. They rarely are. Little had I known that that Tuesday had been filled with more anxiety and distress that I could've possibly crammed into my little body.
Our director had resigned from her position two days before auditions.
Yep.
So, Mrs. Burns, the best director this world has ever known, scrambled to find someone, anyone who would be willing to direct Taming for us.
We got someone better than just anyone. We got Ms. Ashley; the professional Shakespearian actress whom we all love and adore. She agreed to direct the show on Tuesday night, but on one condition; that we switch the show to Romeo and Juliet instead.
This, of course, did not come to my knowledge until Wednesday night, long after everything else happened which I am going to now tell you about :)
So anyway. Back to my perception of the story.
Wednesday morning, I got up, well-rested (kinda) and as prepared as I would ever be. I came into school, excited and eager, but hardly nervous. I had this in the bag, I thought. Plus, there wasn't any role that I wanted in particular, so I figured I'd just jump into auditions and let them place me where they may.
It was announced that Mrs. Burns was going to be having a short meeting before auditions began during lunch time. We all shuffled into the room and waited for Mrs. Burns to arrive, which she did; with Ms. Ashley.
We were all very excited to see her, and greeted her warmly. But then, Mrs. Burns told us all to lie down so we could begin one of our relaxation exercises. This was plausible, seeing as she probably would want us to calm down a bit before auditions. But then, Mrs. Burns turned on some music, and said, "Just listen."
Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone, I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run...
Oh! We know this song!
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess, it's a love story baby just say yes...
By then, we were all singing along; we knew the drill. But a small spark had formed in my mind...
Romeo save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel, this love is difficult, but it's real...
No... it can't be... people were starting to sit up with their mouths open...
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess, it's a love story, baby just say yes...
Mrs. Burns: "Will you say yes to Romeo and Juliet?"
Girls: "YES!"
Boys: "No."
Hah :) That's pretty much how it went down. After that, the entire day was just a flurry of activity. We were given monologues to rehearse until our audition came along, and then we just had to wing it. Being me, I was terrified. I hadn't prepared for something like this. I was not ready. There was no way I was going to be able to speak, let alone act during this audition.
It was like I didn't even have time to think. All of a sudden, the pressure was on, and there was no way I was gonna get myself out of this.
But I went in and I did my best with that cold reading. It was intimidating, yes. I was shaking so hard I thought I'd drop my paper. I slurred my words, and I don't remember looking up more than twice. But when I sat down, I felt accomplished. I'd done it. Against all odds, I hadn't screwed everything up and had to run, weeping, out of the room.
That night was one of the best nights ever. I was staying the night at the Burns', so I left with Mrs. Burns and two extremely eager girls with me. Tia, Chloe and I were all rather anxious, but let me tell you; we were grinding Mrs. Burns into the ground, we wanted to know so badly.
We were driven to Barnes and Noble, where Mrs. Burns, Ms. Ashley, and Ms. Sillaman all discussed the cast list. We tried to snoop, but didn't get anything out of it. We read through the first two acts of R&J to pass the time.
Soon enough, Mrs. Burns had driven us home and still, we were desperate. So we made Mrs. Burns promise to send out the list that night. And she did.
Our reactions were priceless, of course. And recorded. I'm not looking forward to other people seeing that video, I'll admit. We were ecstatic. Absolutely lost in our excitement.
I was going to be playing Juliet Capulet. Chloe, my best friend, was also going to be playing Juliet Capulet (we're in different casts). Tia, another best friend, was going to be playing Lady Capulet. Everything was just so right. It's hard to describe.
Cast list is here:
Cast Capulet / Cast Montague
Escalus-Prince/Princess of Verona - Daniel Russel / BeccaValdes
Mercutio - Andy Paul / Eliana Anthony
Paris - Brandon Johnson / Adam Shackelford
Lord Montague - Noah Paul / Luke Link
Lady Montague - Michael Tucker / Katie Lacy
Romeo - Luke Link / Tom Belliveau
Benvolio - Nadine Kosten / Noah Paul
Abram - Rachel Bernatowicz / Claire Canner
Balthasar - David Link / Katrina Morton
Lord Capulet - Nathan Chai / Mike Ihde
Lady Capulet - Tia Fiori / Christine Cruz
Juliet - Chloe Burns / Grace Link
Tybalt - Tom Belliveau / Mariah Kuhn
Nurse - Amelia Anthony / Julie Johnson
Peter - Candace Abler / Alanna Baker
Friar Laurence - Mike Ihde / Nathan Chai
Friar John - Tyler Sanchez / Joshua Parke
The funny thing is, it didn't really even dawn on us then. It took an entire day for me and Chloe to realize... we were Juliet. How unbelievable. I stayed at the Burns' again on Thursday night, and Chloe and I just could not stop freaking out about it. It was like it had finally hit us. In such a a short expanse of time, we had auditioned for the most classic, beautiful, and well-known plays that Shakespeare had ever written... and we were in the freakin title.
Romeo and Juliet. Oh, you have no idea how many times I've re-read the play in just this week.
So that's my story. It goes on, of course. What with that Friday being the dance, and everyone just being so ecstatic there... and then the lock-in afterwards... and then pain. Lots of pain. I've been sore for days ;)
But oh, was it worth it.
Thank you... so much. I'm not even sure who I'm thanking... everyone who was involved in this experience, I guess. But mostly You, God. You willed this to happen. And something beautiful is going to come of it.
I love you, Lord.
1 comment:
:D your post made me so excited for this play even though I'm not even in it. Haha, the way you told about Mrs. Burns breaking the play change to you was hilarious.
Post a Comment