
What time is it?
SUMMER TIME!
Today is the official first day of summer. And father's day! We're having filet mignon for dinner tonight. Anyway. I'm periodically going to be bursting out into song throughout the day. (It's our vacation... school's out, scream and shout!)
Cough. Anyway. What is summer all about? Why is it so great?
Actually, it isn't that great. You get off school. Whoopee. Really, am I the only one who actually enjoys going to school and seeing friends? Sure, I don't like the homework part (who does?) but that's really the only thing. And maybe having to get up super duper early in the morning.
School is good for you. Please, don't try to deny it. Without school, you'd succeed in nothing. Really. I speak only of the truth.
Without school, you don't see your friends as much. I don't see my friends barely at all. Mostly because I live a half-an-hour away from most of them.
Normally, I see my friends twice a week. It's a homeschool thing. I guess I'd better breifly explain.
I go to Granite Classical Tutorials. Granite. Granite Classical. GCT. All of the above. It is what it is; a tutorial. I go twice a week. It's sort of a school for homeschoolers; we have a graduating class, and we have social lives, blah, blah, blah... you get it. I've said this a million times.
Without school, your brain wastes away. Or at least it feels like it. Most of my summer consists of sitting at home, entertaining myself by staring blankly at walls or through windows.
Luckily, I like to read, and we don't have a television. Two good things. If we had a TV, that's probably all I would do. Then my brain would literally be wasting away.
And I like to read. Like? No. Love. I LOVE to read. Reading opens so many thousands of doors for the mind to explore. Reading allows your mind to be transported into a completely different world. Reading makes you smarter. Trust me; if you read, your vocabulary and your knowledge of grammar and writing increases and expands. Reading is a good thing.
Anyway. I'm supposed to be writing about summer! Goodness. Summer. Okay.
There are other things I don't enjoy about summer other than not seeing your friends and feeling like you brain is melting. For one thing, it's hot. Hot doesn't go too well with me. Neither does cold, but... what can I say? I'm kind of a picky person. Not so much. Just a little.
Anyway. What is it with me and getting off topic? I can't even think straight! What is wrong with me?! AGH I'M DOING IT AGAIN!!
Summer also has bugs. Lots. And lots. Of bugs. Bees, mosquitoes, gnats, spiders, ants, moths, etc. I really don't like bugs. If they're like, a foot away, that's not a problem. But crawling all over me?! Yuck!
But don't get me wrong. Summer brings lots of good oppurtunities too.
Like swimming. And sunbathing. And going to church events, and meeting the new interns. And being warm. And being free from the pressures of school, and all that. Those are all good things.
Summer can even be educational. Yeah, I know, I'm going back to the academic thing. But really. Lots of things happen to a person over the summer, for one thing. You learn new ideas and theories, just like you do when you are in school.
I, for one, am learning how to write better over the summer. It's being forced upon me, but you won't find me complaining. I love to write!
Also, there's a sort of air that surrounds everyone during the summertime. A sort of feeling of adventure. We're free. We can do whatever we want! (Which, of course, is very far from the truth. You certainly are not allowed to do whatever you want, even though it may feel like it.)
So I guess my view of summer is pretty complex, and slightly muddled. How do I feel about summer anyway? Summer is a break. A break from the demands of school projects and 7 page history reports. A break from the pressures of having to act a certain way every time you get up in the morning to go to school. In the summer, you can just let go.
It's always nice to have a break. Summer provides the perfect one; not too terribly long, but not too obnoxiously short. And summer can be fun. You just need to have the right tools. Your mind and your imagination.
Here's a list of the 100 things you can do over the summer if you get bored. Have fun reading it over :)
1. Build fairy houses in the backyard.
2. Start a nature scrapbook.
3. Construction.
4. Play chalk games. Or draw pictures with chalk on the sidewalk.
5. Make mud pies and have a tea party.
6. Have a real tea party with some friends and tell stories.
7. Play with rice.
8. Make a yummy salad and eat it.
9. Paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
10. Work a jigsaw puzzle.
11. Copy a famous painting.
12. Get your bicycle out, clean it up, and get it ready for summer.
13. Practice folding a shirt. Become a pro.
14. Make a poster collage.
15. Make some playdough.
16. Preschool Paper Crafts
17. Mix 2 cups water with a little food coloring, add 6 cups of cornflour/cornstarch to make goop. 18. Cut out and play paper dolls.
19. Watch a familiar DVD dubbed in a foreign language.
20. Make a house of cookies.
21. Volunteer to help a neighbor for free—just because.
22. String beads on dental floss to make a necklace.
23. Listen to some sort of skit, book, or movie, and act it out.
24. Make a milkshake or a smoothie.
25. Start this “childhood in a jar” project.
26. Make a lapbook.
27. Learn to sew or knit.
28. Take one of Carmon’s writin’ suggestions.
29. Watch a Shakespeare play on video.
30. Have a backyard carnival.
31. Make up a math scavenger hunt game or a treasure hunt for a younger brother or sister or for a friend.
32. Learn the alphabet in sign language.
33. Make sand pictures.
34. Make birthday cards for all your friends and relatives for the year. Date them and file them in date order to be ready to send.
35. Make a kite and fly it.
36. Plant a flower bed.
37. Write an old-fashioned, hand-written letter to a friend.
38. Go for a bike ride.
39. Try origami (Japanese paper-folding) or make a paper airplane and fly it.
40. Make a collage.
41. Play store—or house.
42. Spring/summer clean.
43. Play a card game.
44. Play in the rain.
45. Play a map game.
46. Put on a play.
47. Open a day spa.
48. Build with LEGOS.
49. Learn a few magic tricks and produce your own magic show.
50. Give yourself –or a friend –a pedicure.
51. Take a long, hot bath.
52. Play hopscotch.
53. Swing. (”Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing ever a child can do.”)
54. Go camping–or stay home and camp out in your own dining room.
55. Create a new word.
56. Start a lemonade stand.
57. Make and walk on tin-can stilts.
58. Make a summer snack.
59. Blow bubbles.
60. Play with water guns.
61. Play scoop ball.
62. Laugh 400 times today. Keep count.
63. Visit a playground.
64. Practice your Morse code— or your tap dancing.
65. Create your own Roxaboxen.
66. Arrange some flowers for a centerpiece.
67. Watch a movie based on your favorite children’s book.
68. Go to the library.
69. Memorize something meaningful: a psalm, a poem, a passage from the Bible, the Gettysburg Address.
70. Pop some popcorn.
71. Climb a tree.
72. Bathe the ponies. Or your dolls. Or the dog. Not the cat.
73. Practice tying knots.
74. Swim.
75. Wash the car, or wash someone else’s car.
76. Collect some canned goods for the food bank.
77. Dance to whatever music you have available.
78. Iron/fold some clothes while listening to a recorded book.
79. Paint a picture: use watercolors, tempera, oil paints, acrylics, what ever you have on hand.
80. Organize your own marching band.
81. Draw a map of your block or of your town, or trace a map of your country and fill in the states or cities or other features.
82. Get a haircut. If you’re really adventurous, give yourself a haircut.
83. Find a joke and tell it to someone else.
84. Practice playing a musical instrument. If you don’t play an instrument, try learning to play one, maybe the recorder or the harmonica.
85. Shoot baskets or play tennis.
86. Interact with nature. Observe.
87. Make your own fireworks for the Fourth of July. Maybe you should just read about how fireworks are made and then imagine making your own.
88. Read another list of 101 things to do in the summer. You could stay busy reading lists of things to do and never really do anything!
89. Use fabric paints to decorate a shirt.
90. Walk around your block and pick up all the litter you can find.
91. Visit a nursing home. Bring handmade cards or pictures you drew or something to give away.
92. Read the book of Ruth in the Bible. Or another book of the Bible.
93. Rearrange the furniture in your bedroom.
94. Clean out your closet.
95. Make up a scavenger hunt.
96. Make a macaroni necklace. Or string beads.
97. Water the yard or the houseplants or the flowers you planted.
98. Write each of these activities on a separate piece of paper and fold the papers and put them in a jar. Choose two or three papers out of the jar whenever you need a suggestion for something to do.
99. Run around the block 3 times.
100. Make your own list of things to do when you’re bored.
I got this from http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1211. Good stuff! Maybe now you can have something to do over summer break :)
SUMMER TIME!
Today is the official first day of summer. And father's day! We're having filet mignon for dinner tonight. Anyway. I'm periodically going to be bursting out into song throughout the day. (It's our vacation... school's out, scream and shout!)
Cough. Anyway. What is summer all about? Why is it so great?
Actually, it isn't that great. You get off school. Whoopee. Really, am I the only one who actually enjoys going to school and seeing friends? Sure, I don't like the homework part (who does?) but that's really the only thing. And maybe having to get up super duper early in the morning.
School is good for you. Please, don't try to deny it. Without school, you'd succeed in nothing. Really. I speak only of the truth.
Without school, you don't see your friends as much. I don't see my friends barely at all. Mostly because I live a half-an-hour away from most of them.
Normally, I see my friends twice a week. It's a homeschool thing. I guess I'd better breifly explain.
I go to Granite Classical Tutorials. Granite. Granite Classical. GCT. All of the above. It is what it is; a tutorial. I go twice a week. It's sort of a school for homeschoolers; we have a graduating class, and we have social lives, blah, blah, blah... you get it. I've said this a million times.
Without school, your brain wastes away. Or at least it feels like it. Most of my summer consists of sitting at home, entertaining myself by staring blankly at walls or through windows.
Luckily, I like to read, and we don't have a television. Two good things. If we had a TV, that's probably all I would do. Then my brain would literally be wasting away.
And I like to read. Like? No. Love. I LOVE to read. Reading opens so many thousands of doors for the mind to explore. Reading allows your mind to be transported into a completely different world. Reading makes you smarter. Trust me; if you read, your vocabulary and your knowledge of grammar and writing increases and expands. Reading is a good thing.
Anyway. I'm supposed to be writing about summer! Goodness. Summer. Okay.
There are other things I don't enjoy about summer other than not seeing your friends and feeling like you brain is melting. For one thing, it's hot. Hot doesn't go too well with me. Neither does cold, but... what can I say? I'm kind of a picky person. Not so much. Just a little.
Anyway. What is it with me and getting off topic? I can't even think straight! What is wrong with me?! AGH I'M DOING IT AGAIN!!
Summer also has bugs. Lots. And lots. Of bugs. Bees, mosquitoes, gnats, spiders, ants, moths, etc. I really don't like bugs. If they're like, a foot away, that's not a problem. But crawling all over me?! Yuck!
But don't get me wrong. Summer brings lots of good oppurtunities too.
Like swimming. And sunbathing. And going to church events, and meeting the new interns. And being warm. And being free from the pressures of school, and all that. Those are all good things.
Summer can even be educational. Yeah, I know, I'm going back to the academic thing. But really. Lots of things happen to a person over the summer, for one thing. You learn new ideas and theories, just like you do when you are in school.
I, for one, am learning how to write better over the summer. It's being forced upon me, but you won't find me complaining. I love to write!
Also, there's a sort of air that surrounds everyone during the summertime. A sort of feeling of adventure. We're free. We can do whatever we want! (Which, of course, is very far from the truth. You certainly are not allowed to do whatever you want, even though it may feel like it.)
So I guess my view of summer is pretty complex, and slightly muddled. How do I feel about summer anyway? Summer is a break. A break from the demands of school projects and 7 page history reports. A break from the pressures of having to act a certain way every time you get up in the morning to go to school. In the summer, you can just let go.
It's always nice to have a break. Summer provides the perfect one; not too terribly long, but not too obnoxiously short. And summer can be fun. You just need to have the right tools. Your mind and your imagination.
Here's a list of the 100 things you can do over the summer if you get bored. Have fun reading it over :)
1. Build fairy houses in the backyard.
2. Start a nature scrapbook.
3. Construction.
4. Play chalk games. Or draw pictures with chalk on the sidewalk.
5. Make mud pies and have a tea party.
6. Have a real tea party with some friends and tell stories.
7. Play with rice.
8. Make a yummy salad and eat it.
9. Paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
10. Work a jigsaw puzzle.
11. Copy a famous painting.
12. Get your bicycle out, clean it up, and get it ready for summer.
13. Practice folding a shirt. Become a pro.
14. Make a poster collage.
15. Make some playdough.
16. Preschool Paper Crafts
17. Mix 2 cups water with a little food coloring, add 6 cups of cornflour/cornstarch to make goop. 18. Cut out and play paper dolls.
19. Watch a familiar DVD dubbed in a foreign language.
20. Make a house of cookies.
21. Volunteer to help a neighbor for free—just because.
22. String beads on dental floss to make a necklace.
23. Listen to some sort of skit, book, or movie, and act it out.
24. Make a milkshake or a smoothie.
25. Start this “childhood in a jar” project.
26. Make a lapbook.
27. Learn to sew or knit.
28. Take one of Carmon’s writin’ suggestions.
29. Watch a Shakespeare play on video.
30. Have a backyard carnival.
31. Make up a math scavenger hunt game or a treasure hunt for a younger brother or sister or for a friend.
32. Learn the alphabet in sign language.
33. Make sand pictures.
34. Make birthday cards for all your friends and relatives for the year. Date them and file them in date order to be ready to send.
35. Make a kite and fly it.
36. Plant a flower bed.
37. Write an old-fashioned, hand-written letter to a friend.
38. Go for a bike ride.
39. Try origami (Japanese paper-folding) or make a paper airplane and fly it.
40. Make a collage.
41. Play store—or house.
42. Spring/summer clean.
43. Play a card game.
44. Play in the rain.
45. Play a map game.
46. Put on a play.
47. Open a day spa.
48. Build with LEGOS.
49. Learn a few magic tricks and produce your own magic show.
50. Give yourself –or a friend –a pedicure.
51. Take a long, hot bath.
52. Play hopscotch.
53. Swing. (”Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing ever a child can do.”)
54. Go camping–or stay home and camp out in your own dining room.
55. Create a new word.
56. Start a lemonade stand.
57. Make and walk on tin-can stilts.
58. Make a summer snack.
59. Blow bubbles.
60. Play with water guns.
61. Play scoop ball.
62. Laugh 400 times today. Keep count.
63. Visit a playground.
64. Practice your Morse code— or your tap dancing.
65. Create your own Roxaboxen.
66. Arrange some flowers for a centerpiece.
67. Watch a movie based on your favorite children’s book.
68. Go to the library.
69. Memorize something meaningful: a psalm, a poem, a passage from the Bible, the Gettysburg Address.
70. Pop some popcorn.
71. Climb a tree.
72. Bathe the ponies. Or your dolls. Or the dog. Not the cat.
73. Practice tying knots.
74. Swim.
75. Wash the car, or wash someone else’s car.
76. Collect some canned goods for the food bank.
77. Dance to whatever music you have available.
78. Iron/fold some clothes while listening to a recorded book.
79. Paint a picture: use watercolors, tempera, oil paints, acrylics, what ever you have on hand.
80. Organize your own marching band.
81. Draw a map of your block or of your town, or trace a map of your country and fill in the states or cities or other features.
82. Get a haircut. If you’re really adventurous, give yourself a haircut.
83. Find a joke and tell it to someone else.
84. Practice playing a musical instrument. If you don’t play an instrument, try learning to play one, maybe the recorder or the harmonica.
85. Shoot baskets or play tennis.
86. Interact with nature. Observe.
87. Make your own fireworks for the Fourth of July. Maybe you should just read about how fireworks are made and then imagine making your own.
88. Read another list of 101 things to do in the summer. You could stay busy reading lists of things to do and never really do anything!
89. Use fabric paints to decorate a shirt.
90. Walk around your block and pick up all the litter you can find.
91. Visit a nursing home. Bring handmade cards or pictures you drew or something to give away.
92. Read the book of Ruth in the Bible. Or another book of the Bible.
93. Rearrange the furniture in your bedroom.
94. Clean out your closet.
95. Make up a scavenger hunt.
96. Make a macaroni necklace. Or string beads.
97. Water the yard or the houseplants or the flowers you planted.
98. Write each of these activities on a separate piece of paper and fold the papers and put them in a jar. Choose two or three papers out of the jar whenever you need a suggestion for something to do.
99. Run around the block 3 times.
100. Make your own list of things to do when you’re bored.
I got this from http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1211. Good stuff! Maybe now you can have something to do over summer break :)
2 comments:
Paint the sistine chapel Ceiling!!?? WHAT!?
hahaha yes!!
Post a Comment