Monday, June 22, 2009

The Call

There's this song, The Call, that I've been listening to a lot lately. It's by Regina Spektor (who I looked up on youtube and decided "The Call" was the one and only song I liked by her) and it is played at the very end of Prince Capsian the movie. The lyrics are very interesting; I'd thought I'd speculate a bit on what they meant. Here's the song:

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry
I'll come back
When you call me
No need to say goodbye
Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never
Been this way before
All you can do is try to know
Who your friends are
As you head off to the war
Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say goodbye
Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes
You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say goodbye

Hmm... interesting. At first I thought these lyrics must have some kind of underlying, Christian theme to be in a movie based of a book that has tons of Christian themes in it. But now I'm not so sure. Perhaps the middle and last part of the song, You'll come back when it's over no need to say goodbye... then, You'll come back when they call you no need to say goodbye... that could be talking about Jesus Christ. He is going to return, no doubt about that. But when what is over? Is it talking about what happens in Revelation? What call?
The beginning of the song reminds me of falling in love, though. It started out as a feeling Which then grew into a hope Which then turned into a quiet thought Which then turned into a quiet word And then that word grew louder and louder 'Til it was a battle cry... That's how falling in love is. Not that I've had much experience, I can tell you that! But I know people who have. And I know enough about crushes and that whole thing to know that it starts out sort of feeble. But it grows. You have this sort of hope inside you, and the whisper grows "louder and louder til it's a battle cry". You want to scream and shout that one word forever and ever. You're so happy and fluttery, and that word is just struggling to escape your lips. What word? Love, of course. What else?
But this love could be for something else other than a boy-girl thing. This love could be for Christ as well. I wouldn't know how that kind of love starts, however; I've been in a relationship with God for as long as I can remember. I've always been taught to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, strength (sorry if it's the wrong order ;). So I wouldn't know how love starts when it concerns God. But I've always imagined it pretty strong; like, you've had a revelation, and you just feel the love surround you, pouring onto you. Drowning in love, you know? I know it takes a while for your relationship with God to develop, but... that's just not the kind of description I would expect.
But the rest of the song leads to the assumption of love between a boy and a girl. It's a story, in fact. Two people love each other. Then, one leaves to join the armed forces. Just because everything's changing Doesn't mean it's never Been this way before All you can do is try to know Who your friends are As you head off to the war. This is advice from one of the two people. I'm going to assume that the boy is the one going off to join the army. Besides, a girl is singing the song, so I'm not being sexist or anything ;). Anyway, she says that everything's changing, but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. They've been seperated before; they can deal with it. She also says to be wise with picking his friends. Then she says, Pick a star on the dark horizon And follow the light, which is advice for him to make sure he always knows the way home. Then, when she sings, You'll come back When it's over No need to say good bye... she's saying she knows he'll be back. When the war is over and everything is back to normal, he'll come back. She has the utmost faith that he's going to come back home. No need to say goodbye...
Now we're back to the beginning It's just a feeling and no one knows yet But just because they can't feel it too Doesn't mean that you have to forget Let your memories grow stronger and stronger 'Til they're before your eyes... This leads to the assumption that he has, perhaps, returned from the war. Things might be awkward between the two of them. Their feelings have subsided a bit. But then she says, But just because they can't feel it too Doesn't mean that you have to forget Let your memories grow stronger and stronger 'Til they're before your eyes... she's reminding him of the time they spent together. Of when they were together, before war reached their lives and changed everything.
So overall, I really like the song. But I must say, I was hoping to find some really cool, spiritual meaning within the lyrics. But it just doesn't seem that way to me. But I'd love to hear comments about what you might think this song means. My theory is just the obvious one; I'm sure people have a lot of different opinions as to what this song really truly means, to you personally. Anyway. I'd like to hear from you :)

Bonus question: What is "The Call"? What "Call" is the singer talking about? Any theories?

1 comment:

Caitlin Walsh said...

This is one of my new favorite artists and The Call came on today :) Reminded me of this and how much I loved it! I miss you!