What I have re-discovered today:
1. Autumn is wonderful.
2. The Book of Job has some of the most beautiful poetry I've ever read.
3. Orthodontist appointments suck.
4. Spinny chairs are delightful.
5. I have no clue how I lived before I got my snuggie.
6. Soft molasses cookies are delectable.
7. I really enjoy writing.
8. I go to school twice a week. Mhm. That's right.
9. I know some of the greatest people on the planet.
10. GOD IS GOOD.
I actually wrote that a few days ago, and posted it as my status on facebook.
Funny, how am evidently ordinary day can somehow become extraordinary.
Based on personal perception, of course.
(P.S.... before you get too deep into this post, know that it's kinda random. I rant a lot, if you didn't realize... and well... I like to cover a lot of things. Just fyi :)
I think that should be a goal for me. To pick out the ordinary things in life, as an attempt for deeper appreciation, reflection, and understanding. I think that's something we should all pursue, really.
Now, it's come to my attention that a number of people perceive me as well put-together, Christian girl with a moralistic and impeccable view on life. At least, that's what they tell me.
Well, I can tell you flat-out that that's not very accurate.
I am not well-put together, I can at least tell you that. Comparitively speaking, I could be considered "put-together", I suppose. But in my opinion, "put-together" should not be an adjective use to describe Grace Marie Link. I'm a simple, complicated teenage girl with really no idea as to what she's talking about. I'm very easily confused, and I confuse very easily. Many things have been happening in my life, things that I can barely cope with. And when I do cope, I don't do it very well, and people don't understand my actions. And it just ends up as a giant, goopy mess.
I can also tell you that my view on life is certainly flawed. I try my very best to base it upon what the Bible has to give me, but sometimes it isn't that easy, and sometimes, I screw up.
Yes, indeed; I do screw up. Quite frequently, actually. But I try my best.
I try my best to live my life in a way that is honoring to the Lord. In a way that takes the life God has given me, and use it in the best way possible.
And who knows. Maybe that includes attempts at deeper appreciation, reflection, and understanding. Until I am convinced otherwise, I think I'm gonna try it.
In the past few weeks I've discovered something. Something that is obnoxiously material and superficial... but deserves to be written down, so I don't forget when I came to acknowledge it.
Some people actually consider me "beautiful".
This astounds me beyond belief, and makes me wonder if people perceive me differently than I perceive myself. I mean, obviously people are going to see me differently... but it's just so foreign to me. My friends have always told me I was beautiful; my family, of course. It's never been very apparent in my life, though. I've considered myself ugly. And, I've considered myself pretty. But never beautiful.
That thought continues to cross my mind. I'm really not that pretty, I say to myself.
But none of this should matter, right? It isn't even relevent, right? God perceives me as beautiful, and that should be more than enough.
Then why is this such a big deal to me?
I'm human. Humans have made it their goal to be prettier, smarter, cooler, tougher, bigger, and better. And once they finally become that way? Mission accomplished.
It's never been my "mission" to be pretty. At least not consciously. But I put on make-up; I dress up. I want other to perceive me as pretty... in order for my mission to be accomplished.
But, as humans, our desires are never fully fulfilled. There's always that craving for more. And there isn't much we can do about that.
I'm definitely debating whether to post this or not... I wonder if it's possible to turn off comments? I just think I probably don't want to hear what people have to say about this little section...
Anyway. This post was... well. Random. Hah. I covered two different points in here, both very different... Sorry to be inconsistent ;)
I wonder who all reads this anyway.